Sunday, February 25, 2007

Excerpts and excuses

24 February 2007

I lingered on the East Side a bit too long (a Matta-Clark show at the Whitney I had to see); and now I’m paying for it. I have no idea why cross town traffic is so bad. But once I’ve turned into Columbus Circle, it’s a breeze – a beeline through Lincoln Center to Walter Damrosch Park – the backside of the State Theater and the Met we almost never see. (I have a love-hate relationship with Lincoln Center – something slightly De Chirico fascist about the whole concept; and then, too, it reminds me of the even more corporate crypto style of the L.A. Music Center – but it’s mostly love. So unlike my relationship with that other neo-Century City blight on Columbus Circle, the Time Warner Center, which is more or less hate-hate.) After an extremely fast run through the Scope Art Fair, I head down to Chelsea for a group show opening at Kathleen Cullen Fine Arts (I’ll return tomorrow – though I’m pushing it a bit. There’s a Red Dot panel to attend, the Pulse fair, and a return trip to the Armory Show at Pier 94.). More on that later – back uptown I’m feeling the impact of the margaritas from the after-party at Plume over on 14th Street and wonder if I’m coming down with something. But I promised not to make this into a version of my symptom journal.

25 February 2007

I feel like I’m chasing my tail – sorry to be playing this game of catch-up. I know, I know – you’re missing my notes on the Park Ave./67th Street Armory ADAA show (let me just preview – amazing work by Anish Kapoor, Gladstone of course; a beautiful themed show by Cheim & Reed – “femme” – all by Louise Bourgeois, an amazing Frankenthaler screen from David Tunick – one of only 12 extant that must be seen, felt, experienced in all its richness, beautiful Jennifer Bartlettt steel enamel paintings from Philadelphia’s Locks Gallery; fine to amazing Mexican/Latin American art from Mary-Anne Martin, Chinese work, including Wang Guangyi at Lillian Heidenberg; so much more) LA in NY fair (with a few exceptions – let’s just say for the moment -- & THIS IS NOT A PUT-DOWN IN ANY SENSE – whatever didn’t sell in L.A. – from Rosamund Felsen to Acuna-Hansen to Kim Light to Richard Heller – it’s all fantastic stuff. Only thing is I’ve already seen most of it. Carlee Fernandez was at Acuna-Hansen – looking fabulous; ditto Blair – hello GORGEOUS!). Much to say about SCOPE – but not right now. The Jean-Christian Bourcart work at Andrea Meislin must be seen – some of these photographic works look like something out of a particle accelerator; others abstracted multiple perspectives – all coloristically rich and vibratile. Amazing. Ditto the wood sculptures by Oliver van den Berg at Kuckei & Kuckei out of Berlin. Many charming -- & not so – encounters. Let me share with you later. I have to run down to TriBeCa to look at the Hort collection. They’re hosting a brunch with a tour of their amazing contemporary collection.

Oh yeah – I’ve come down with a cold. I just took an Allegra; hope it helps. My congestion is now perfectly in synch with the crosstown traffic. Does that mean my movement about town will be charmed from this point forward? Hope so.

No comments: